Monday, July 28, 2008

Farewell Sweet Prince: An Ode to Baseball's Finest Venue


As we all know, the old Yankee Stadium is currently in its last Season as the home of Baseball's greatest team. With the closing of the stadium an important chapter of baseball history closes. But I'm not writing to dwell tragically on the past. No, I am here to bitch triumphantly about the future!

So, of all places, the Yankees decided to build their new stadium in a park across the street from the old stadium. Great! That's just what the Bronx needs, developers filling the area with stuff that the residents can't really afford to enjoy. Most of the Bronx is not a pretty place. The buildings are generally unappealing, and major thoroughfares run through the whole borough. The Bronx can use all the parks it can get. The old stadium is becoming a park, but I just don't like the idea.

There were also talks of a Hockey game taking place at the stadium. It seems that NHL has decided to hold their yearly outdoor game at Wrigley field in Chicago (another shrine to baseball, but not one that is closing), so Steinbrenner lives.

I don't know. Maybe I'm still pissed that I lost my last chance to see a game there before it closes (fuck you Justin[at least I think that's your name]), but I still don't get why they're taking it down.

Again, fuck you Justin.

Photo Courtesy of a google image search.

No comments: